- SCDC received a Capacity Building grant from the National Community Land Trust Network. Mike Brown of Burlington Associates will continue his work with SCDC under this grant.
- SCDC received a grant from the Rasmuson Foundation to hire Mike Brown of Burlington Associates for assistance in forming the Sitka Community Land Trust. Look for a completion of this process in late spring 2014.
- Raven Radio did a series on Community Land Trusts:
- May 31, 2013 interview with Randy Hughey: Land trusts: A passion for the 'doable'
- May 24, 2013: Interview with Michael Brown: Land trust, not landlord
- May 19, 2013: Interview with Cleo Brylinski: Land trusts an enduring framework for affordable housing
- May 9, 2013: Interview with Paul Rioux: Land trusts can close housing gap
- The Daily Sitka Sentinel ran a series of 7 articles on Community Land Trusts written by SCDC board member Dorrie Farrell.
- 12/18-19, 2012, SCDC hosted a Community Land Trust (CLT) consultant in Sitka. Michael Brown (photo, right) of Burlington Associates in Community Development, LLC generously donated some of his vacation time while visiting a daughter in Juneau to make a number of presentations about CLTs and meet with various city officials and the SCDC board of directors. This is the Daily Sitka Sentinel News article covering the presentation to the Assembly and the SCDC Directors. Mim McConnell and Brown visited KCAW for a morning interview with Robert Woosley, KCAW News Director.
- The KCAW Morning Interview: SCDC explores building materials reuse facility, community land trusts December 15, 2011 Listen/Read off site...
- HB 50 passed legislature: makes communities and AHFC Housing more vibrant, more available: News Release
- Learn how Sequestration affects housing programs:
HUDBG cuts under sequestration
HUDRA cuts under sequestration
- "Why childless households will lead the market" from Better! Cities & Towns
- New Smartphone Application: Fair Market Rents & Income Limits from HUD’s Policy Develop: Google Play
- Share Common Ground: More boomers are opting for smaller neighborhoods with a bigger sense of community by: Sally Abrahms | from: AARP Bulletin | May 7, 2012
- Pocket Neighborhood Slideshow Boomers can downsize without losing the amenities of suburban living from: AARP Bulletin | May 3, 2012
- Cohousing in Anchorage. Could our CLT look something like this? Anchorage Daily News article.
- Alaska rates poorly on extent of child homelessness. STUDY: State 47th in country in percentage of kids affected. more off site...
- Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income By HOPE YEN Associated Press December 16, 2011 more off site...
- Poorest poor in US hits new record: 1 in 15 people "The ranks of America's poorest poor have climbed to a record high — 1 in 15 people — spread widely across metropolitan areas as the housing bust pushed many inner-city poor into suburbs and other outlying places and shriveled jobs and income." Nov. 4, 2011 more off site...
Affordable Housing News
- Gimme Shelter: A Special Report on the Housing Crisis, Yukon News, August 27, 2011 (NOTE: be sure to read the other articles on this page.) "Housing is one of those issues that does poorly in our system of government. It’s complex, immune to quick fixes and requires both big investment and long-term planning."
- 12/15/11: Governor proposes housing aid for victims of violence article. This opens off-site.
- Juneau Empire November 2011 series: The paper put together a series of articles based on the housing shortage and homeless chronic inebriate situation in Juneau. These articles begin: here, here, and here. They continue here and here.
- Rent vs. Buy: Which One is Right for You? - Southeast Living, Southeast Living, April 29, 2011
- Affordable Housing, Part II, Cost & Effect: Developing in Juneau - Southeast Living, April 29, 2011
- Affordable Housing, Part I, Report details need for more housing in Juneau - Southeast Living, Mar 23, 2011
- 2011 AKCoalition_presentation
- Housing Trust Fund Project newsletter: Fall-2011-HTFund-Project-newsletter