NEW link: Advocates’ Guide to Housing and Community Development Policy
Every year, the National Low Income Housing Coalition publishes the Advocates’ Guide to Housing and Community Development Policyto educate advocates of all kinds about the programs and policies that make housing affordable to low income people across America. Whether you are a new employee at a housing agency, a student in an urban planning program, or a seasoned affordable housing advocate looking for a refresher on key programs, this book will give you the overview of housing programs and advocacy tools you need to be a leader in the affordable housing movement.
2013 ADVOCATES' GUIDE(.PDF, 2 MB)
Affordable Housing, Pocket Neighborhoods and Land Trust Web Sites
Link to sample city ordinance: http://www.cottagecompany.com/Planning/Land-Use-Code.aspx
Orcas Island Land Trust http://www.opalclt.org/timeline.htm
Institute for Community Economics http://www.nhtinc.org/ice.php.
Lopez Island, WA http://www.lopezclt.org/programs/affordable-housing/
Alaska Housing Finance Corp. (AHFC) History (PDF link)
Guide: Housing and Mortgages on Affordable Housing
Purpose of this Guide
This guide aims to help persons of low income gain an understanding of the options available when it comes to finding affordable housing and getting a mortgage. By the end of this guide the reader should have a better grasp of the following:
- The advantages and disadvantages of home ownership for low income earners.
- How to determine whether the home you are interested in really is affordable.
- The process for finding, getting a contract on, and closing on your new home.
- The responsibility for budgeting for incidentals.
- Considerations regarding homelessness and home ownership.
- Programs that may help you achieve your dream of home ownership.